Thread: 23 cm band

Admin
    Join Date Nov 2018
    Location Edmonton
    Posts 7

23 cm band

Hello stations

Will ham radio usage migrate to 23cm band? I know we have listed one repeater using that. Is it practical to use it for simplex operations?

Thoughts? I see the new 9700 has 23 cm. This is what got me thinking about that band.

Ve6TdT

Todd
    This ad was posted by: Ve6TdT Callsign: ve6tdt Country: Canada IP Hash: f80f622079c756f984409ed192dc4af9
    To inquire about this listing, please contact the seller directly as specified in the ad.
    If no email address or phone was given, click HERE to send Ve6TdT a private message.
    NARC assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of this listing
    Last edited by Ve6TdT; 9th February 2019 at 10:50 PM.
    Jr. Friend
    Join Date Jan 2014
    Posts 1

Re: 23 cm band

Not alot of people have 23cm radio thats problem specially here in alberta
    This ad was posted by: Ancer Callsign: Va6rbc Country: Canada IP Hash: 541e205be3e2ca6b5bd4f502509c5731
    To inquire about this listing, please contact the seller directly as specified in the ad.
    If no email address or phone was given, click HERE to send Ancer a private message.
    Jr. Friend
    Join Date Apr 2014
    Location Calgary, AB
    Posts 3

Agreed, there is not much 23cm activity....but it's hard to say that not a lot of people have 23cm capable radios. Look at the 220Mhz band example.......220Mhz can be had in a number of products, and I know a bunch of people who own 220Mhz capable gear, and there are 5 x 220 Mhz repeaters in Alberta....but they are likely very quiet.

Get the word out and talk to people, stir up some activity. 23cm/1.2Ghz has a global allocation in many countries and is one of the bands of choice on EME.

There are a number of equipment options on the used radio market, a few on the new radio market.....one of my favorite ways to get on the air w/ 23cm inexpensively, is a Transverter made by SG-Lab in Bulgaria which costs ~$200USD..... 2m input gets you onto 23cm output. They also make a 900Mhz and 2.4Ghz version as well.

Tino, VE6MB
    This ad was posted by: VE6MB Callsign: VE6MB Country: Canada IP Hash: a74954a54f9bffe487c8bb93f2e71bf9
    If no email address or phone was given, click HERE to send VE6MB a private message.
    Jr. Friend
    Join Date Dec 2018
    Posts 8

Data link for SAR?
    Not a wavelength I know. (Except 1.6GHz troposcatter!)
    This ad was posted by: VE6IU Callsign: VE6IU Country: Canada IP Hash: 3711a853d22eb995f48173ed292c16fb
    If no email address or phone was given, click HERE to send VE6IU a private message.
    Admin
    Join Date Nov 2018
    Location Edmonton
    Posts 7

Is this radio available?
    http://www.alinco.com/Products/ham/h..._hxUDumxIhN4Cw
    This ad was posted by: Ve6TdT Callsign: ve6tdt Country: Canada IP Hash: 09254c9fdfe6aceb3e24c0163c56f848
    If no email address or phone was given, click HERE to send Ve6TdT a private message.
    Jr. Friend
    Join Date Apr 2014
    Location Calgary, AB
    Posts 3

The Alinco DJ-G7T is still currently available....but I suspect not for much longer....it wasn't a big seller.....which is too bad because Alinco took a chance and offered something unique. They also used to have a DJ-G29T which was a VERY unique HT radio offering 220Mhz/900Mhz band......I used to own both these radios.

Radioworld shows the G7T as a special order item @ $420CAD. This radio is available in the US from hamradio.com (HRO) at the on-sale price of $249.95USD..... probably because they are going to get discontinued.....so if you factor a price of $250USD + $30 shipping = $280USD ...that's about $365CAD + GST = $383.25CAD (I'm trying to capture all the costs that you could find yourself paying once it was shipped to Canada). It would appear that you'd be money ahead buying from HRO....

You could also try to find something on the used market.... ICOM IC-T8A (quad-band 6m/2m/70cm/23cm) HT also pops up from time-to-time.

The transverter I mentioned (~$200USD + shipping) is an option.....it's not really portable, but will work with any 5W max 2m radio that you already own.

Other radios from the past (mostly mobiles and base radios) that included 1.2Ghz.....:

Icom IC-ID1 DSTAR capable 1.2Ghz mobile radio (very pricey when new @ $800+ CAD)
    Yaesu FT-2312 (older radio, released in Japan, can be purchased on eBay)
    Icom IC-1201 (older radio, released in Japan, can be purchased on eBay - there was one of these for sale in Calgary for $250 not that long ago).
    Icom IC-910H (optional add in 1.2Ghz module - older radio, might find one used as people looking to buy new IC-9700)
    Icom IC-970H (same as above)
    Icom IC-9100 (same as above)
    Kenwood TS-2000X (The X model has the 1.2Ghz built in...again, might find one used).
    Yaesu FT-736R (optional add in 1.2Ghz module)

And then of course there's the new IC-9700 satellite-ready VHF/UHF all mode base which is now being released ($2899.00CAD).

I have equipment to work the six VHF/UHF bands from 6m to 1.2Ghz (50, 144, 222, 432, 902, 1296Mhz - RX only on 2304MHz). There are a couple of guys in Calgary with equipment on 10Ghz Narrow-band FM/ SSB.

Good luck.

Tino, VE6MB
    Calgary, AB.
    This ad was posted by: VE6MB Callsign: VE6MB Country: Canada IP Hash: a74954a54f9bffe487c8bb93f2e71bf9
    If no email address or phone was given, click HERE to send VE6MB a private message.
    Admin
    Join Date Nov 2018
    Location Edmonton
    Posts 7

Thanks Tino, VE6MB plenty of great information to study. I will have a good look at all those radios you mentioned. I did find one in Las Vegas for $259.99 (the Alinco).. Was in contact with radioworld and they said I can get one mid march...

This is part of the fun...

Ve6TdT
    This ad was posted by: Ve6TdT Callsign: ve6tdt Country: Canada IP Hash: 09254c9fdfe6aceb3e24c0163c56f848
    Jr. Friend
    Join Date Apr 2014
    Location Calgary, AB
    Posts 3

Thanks Tino, VE6MB plenty of great information to study. I will have a good look at all those radios you mentioned. I did find one in Las Vegas for $259.99 (the Alinco).. Was in contact with radioworld and they said I can get one mid march...

This is part of the fun...

Ve6TdT
    Coincidentally, someone has just listed a IC-910H for sale on here.....

Regardless of whichever path you use......just understand the limitations.... as you go higher up in frequency, your RF losses go up too. So if you're contemplating even-modest coax runs to get to your antenna......it has to be really good coax (ie. LMR400 or better). It really depends on what you want to do with the equipment.

Secondly, it makes a difference whether you are planning on a radio that is FM-only or all-mode (SSB/CW, etc). If it's FM only, then your audience is going to have to be fairly close to you (although I have worked 18km on FM with only about 2 watts out of the antenna). An all-mode radio would be ideal as you could potentially work other stations on ssb, or - who knows you could start building something for EME (but let's be realistic, EME is very tricky).

Have you talked to anybody up there (Edmonton) area who are into weak-signals? There is a weekly 2m SSB net on Sundays at 1000hrs and 2000hrs. But then again you would need an all-mode 2m radio to participate.

(this is where the transverter is a potential good idea. It will work with whatever 2m radio you might already have. If you only have an FM radio...then it will be limited to 1.2Ghz FM. If you acquire an all-mode capable 2m radio (with SSB); then you will acquire all-mode 1.2Ghz capabilities as well).

Tino, VE6MB